Monday, January 10, 2011

Kickin' It

Kayla  talked me into getting a couple of pairs of Chuck Taylors recently.  What were the coolest shoes to have about 30 years ago are back in vogue now- in all kinds of designer colors and fabrics. When I was doing P90X I was looking for a pair of shoes to save my knees and ran across the concept of "barefoot shoes" like the Vibram Five Fingers.  The idea is to use a minimal amount of support because our feet and leg muscles get lazy from all that support and by working out without the support we build strength.  I ended up going a different way for shoes then.  But, when I got my first pair of Converses (well the first pair in about 30 years), I got that barefoot feeling from them because they have zero support.  LOL. 

I got a pair of Vibram Five Fingers for Christmas from Ty.  But, because of my genetic deformity of having very long toes and second toes that are longer than my big toes, I cannot wear them.  I did wear them around in the house for a while and they felt pretty much like my Chuck's at over twice the price.  Chuck Taylor's, decades ahead of their time.

photo notes:

This was taken with my new Tamron 17-50mm lens.  I really like the bokeh effect, now that I know what it is.  By zooming in on my shoes all the way out to 50mm and being so close, everything in the background is way out of focus, forcing your eye to look at the shoes in the frame first.


this is a shot I took before I readjusted the light metering setting from my shoot the day before. I have to get used to tweaking all of these settings because leaving just one wrong for the conditions can completely ruin a shot. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Love that effect. I've never owned any Converse, but I have owned some totally unsupported shoes.

Brian said...

You can really "feel the ground" when wearing a pair of Chuck Taylor's. I think it's kind of funny that Vibram has turned that into a feature.

kc bob said...

I remember my first pair a long time ago.. seems like my last pair was leather. Look forward to your enjoying your new photos from your new camera.