Friday, January 14, 2011

Kayla's Swimming

Kayla had two meets this week.  She swam back and breast stroke in the first event.  Two of her least favorite strokes.  She held her own though considering they are pretty specialized strokes.  In the big meet this weekend, she swam back again and knocked five seconds off her best time.  Her coaches are really excited about her progress.  We are starting to see that "eye of the tiger" as she chased a girl down in her first relay race.

note on the photo:  I'm really happy with my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens.  There's very little light in these swimming venues.  I've been playing around with settings to get a shutter speed fast enough to capture the action (including the water droplets) but to get enough exposure to brighten up the picture and not have to use such a high ISO setting that I get a lot of noise. A shutter speed of 1/125th seems to be fast enough.  I'm also boosting up the exposure 2/3 of a stop.  The 2.8 aperture lets me get shots I couldn't get with the Canon 18-55 kit lens at f/3.5-5.6.

No comments: