Monday, August 27, 2007

Stuffed Chicken Florentine

I used to make this dish for Ty. I recently realized recently I hadn't made it in at least 10 years. So, Kayla had never had it. I grilled out steaks on Saturday (and baked sweet potatoes). I was planning to take Sunday off from making dinner. But, I mentioned this dish on the way to church and Kayla's little eyes lit up. So, I decided to make it for her. While Ty and the girls were basking in the sun at the pool, I stayed at home and did shipping labels and made this dish. I also missed most of the golf tournament. :(

It took longer than I remembered (maybe that's why I hadn't made it in so long). I have modified the recipe from the original (of course). The stuffing is spinach, basil, freshly grated nutmeg, egg white and feta cheese. I flatten the breasts with a mallet and roll the stuffing in them. Then they get floured, egg washed and dipped in Panko breadcrumbs with romano cheese. Popped into the freezer to firm up (not freeze), then pan fried in butter. Finished in the oven. Kayla loved it. Shayna wanted more cheese and less spinach. But, she enjoyed it, too. Ty made a great rice dish (kind of like risotto) to go along with it. I'll have to get that dish into our cook book.

The picture would have been better had I not had the dirty knife and fork there (from cutting Shayna's up for her). But, it's good enough, I guess.

Stuffed Chicken Florentine

1 comment:

karen said...

Looks delicious. I'll be right over.